Wednesday, June 04, 2008

DWR or Spring MVC + JSONView

To build extjs based application. At first glance, you will find that DWR is pretty neat. You do not need MVC level code and client side can talk direct to service layer. Seems this will save lots of time and code.

Wait.... Is this really true? (perfect solution = time cosuming ?)

After fight with DWR problem for a while, I decide move back to Spring MVC JsonView.

Extjs have a pretty good interface to hanlde JSON data. By using DWR, you need decide whether you still use JSON data, or pass trhough object (maybe parameter). You need write your own reader to understand passed object. At least you need write: DWRTreeProxy, DWRListProxy, DWRComboProxy. True, you can copy those proxy from forum, there are lots of examples. However, those example does not have quality guarantee, and it drive me crazy to debug line by line.

I try to save time when I move to DWR, finally I found I spent more time that using Spring MVC + JsonView.

Suggestion: if you know really well for extjs and DWR, you can try using DWR. Jack said that he had a really success porject with Extjs + DWR. However, Jack is Jack. Otherwise, keep Extjs + JsonView. This will save your lots of time. (honestly, Extjs + JsonView already really beautiful, DWR seems a perfect solution, however it will take your long time if you are not as smart as Jack - oh ya, I am only 10% smart as Jack)

4 comments:

David said...

Thanks for the info. Do you still use ExtJS combined with Spring-MVC-JSONView?

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elmasse said...

Hey Fenqiang, nice blog! I need to review this more often!
BTW I have some different opinion about how to integrate ExtJS and backend! I'll let you know when I have done my tests!

Regards! And keep rockin'!
Max

suresh kumar said...

Hi,



Thank you for posting this blog it is very much useful to me.Keep it up.I wish you all the best